Integrated Neuromuscular Re-Education: Muscle Energy Therapy & Positional Release
Faculty: Theresa A. Schmidt, PT,DPT,MS,OCS,LMT,CEAS,CHy
What can you do to manage those irritating trigger points? How can you facilitate better flexibility in just minutes? Learn a highly efficient, hands-on approach to correction of mobility impairments, using an updated integration of positional release/strain-counterstain and muscle energy/PNF. Restore normal soft tissue tone and elasticity, relieve pain, improve strength, and optimize performance. Identify and treat abnormal neuromuscular reflexes contributing to muscle tension, painful trigger points, and strength deficits. Techniques may be immediately applied in a variety of clinical situations. A review of the current evidence illustrates the efficacy of these interventions. This course emphasizes hands-on interventions you can incorporate into your clinical programs immediately.
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the theory and evidence-based research for positional release (PRT)/ counterstain and muscle energy therapy/Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation. (MET/PNF)
- Describe neuromotor reflexes: muscle spindles, Golgi tendon organs and proprioceptors and their effect on muscle tone and function.
- Identify common trigger points (TPs) using palpation.
- Utilize PRT positions to reduce the pain and sensitivity of TPs to allow spontaneous release of abnormal tension and improve mobility.
- Apply principles of MET/PNF to effectively stretch a muscular restriction (to correct joint dysfunction, improve mobility).
- Incorporate positional release and muscle energy into a treatment program to reduce painful TPs, improve flexibility, strength, and function.
Contact hours: Home study: 1.5
Course type: Home study
Course category: Neuromuscular
Teaching methods: Lecture, slide presentation, handouts, video demos, Q&A via email with insrtuctor for home study.
Audience: health professionals and personal fitness trainers
Level: Beginner, intermediate
©2019 Educise PC. All Rights Reserved.